Music is a fantastic way for children and parents to experience fun and enjoyable times together. Dancing, singing, playing percussion instruments, and relaxing to music are great for stimulating your child’s development. And the benefits are even greater when you share these activities together!
“Sing&Grow has given me a reason to get myself and my children out of bed in the morning, the kids love it!
— Sing&Grow parent, Tasmania
Why is music beneficial?
- Music motivates children
- Music is fun and non-threatening
- Music can provide structure and predictability
- Music can be used to alter mood
- Music is great for child development
Download our “Sing&Grow Music and Child Development” info page here.
Download our “Sing&Grow Making Instruments at Home” info page here.
Families can be referred to Sing&Grow through an organisation that is supporting them in their community. Families interested in attending Sing&Grow can download the brochure here, and take it to their local community organisation for discussion.
Music can help child development…
- Thinking Skills – staying on task, increasing attention span, problem solving, following instructions, understanding and practicing new concepts.
- Language, Literacy & Numeracy – learning new words and their meanings, counting, following patterns.
- Physical Skills – gross and fine motor skills, body awareness, co-ordination e.g. using both hands together.
- Communication Skills – verbal and nonverbal self-expression e.g. singing, making animal sounds, pointing, looking, waving.
- Social Skills – sharing, turn-taking, sitting & waiting. This can help to prepare children for kindy and school.